24 September 2008

Recommit To Our Country

I have no intention of turning this into a political blog and do not want to post anything about the upcoming election or anything like that so don't worry, I'll keep those opinions to myself. But with the recent passing of the 7th anniversary of 9/11, I have been feeling a little more patriotic then usual. If you remember #81 from my 100 Things post, you know that I cry when I hear the national anthem. I also get goose bumps when I say the Pledge of Allegiance. I love this country, I love what it stands for and the freedoms it offers me. So with this post, I am asking you to love our country too. Love and protect the freedoms we have so they do not go away. Recommit to this great country in our troubled times so we can rise above and come out stronger. It will only happen if we do it together. It doesn't matter if your democrat or republican or neither really. You are still American and that is what you should focus on and remember. YOU ARE AN AMERICAN. BE PROUD OF THAT FACT.

Leo and I bought this book at Cracker Barrel. It's all about the pledge. It's a wonderful book and extremely moving (yes I cried) , so I am going to share some of the book with you.
Note I did not write this, all credit should be given to the author of this book D.K.Webb. Buy it.

Reprinted from the book:
"Introduction.
Thirty one words...We learned them as kids when we were too small and too naive to understand them. We simply committed them to memory with no regard for their significance. We recited them morning after morning, year after year, never realizing the price that the proud revolutionists paid to make them real and the price our brave contemporaries would pay to keep them real. We've become so familiar with them that we seldom stop to consider what they should mean to us now....now that we're grown...now that we are the ones responsible for sustaining their legacy.

Whether we were aware of it or not, these thirty-one words carved out a place in our hearts-in the shape of a true patriot: a lover of liberty, a defender of faith, a promoter of unity, a champion of peace, a protector of democracy, and a guardian of all things sacred to life.

One morning recently, I paused in the midst of my busy routine to reflect on these thirty-one words. I was stunned at the emotions that stirred within me as I sat in respectful contemplation of not only these thirty-one words but of the wealth of history that lay behind them. Before I knew it, I found myself wanting to stand with my hand over my heard and recite them aloud with a renewed commitment to America- past present and future. And I did.

Perhaps it's time we all recommit to America - to her values, her traditions, her history, her heritage, her majesty, her nobilty, her compassion, her humility, and her holy awe. Regardless of our party preference or political stance, regardless of which presidential candidate we supported or which amendments we opposed, we are - in all of our diversity - one people with one heart and one mind. We are benefactors and beneficiaries of a powerful democracy - the strongest republic in the civilized world. We are the most liberated, most prosperous, and most blessed people on the face of the earth. And we owe it all to a sovereign God, to our American citizenship, and in part, to these thirty-one words.

Do yourself a favor. Do all of us a favor. Take the time right now to reflect on these thirty-one words and allow them to take root in your mind and heart. It is highly likely that your patriotism with be reaffirmed and your passion for this country reignited as you consider the thirty-one words you learned in elementary school.

What thirty-one words? You know them. I'll say the first three and you can take it from there - the last twenty-eight are a piece of cake!

I pledge allegiance....
to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic
for which it stands,
one Nation,
under God,
indivisible,
with liberty
and justice
for all.
"
The rest of the book is very good as well. I hope you enjoyed my diversion from the normal kids are doing this and that. Tomorrow I will share with you what Little Man screamed out in the restaurant at dinner. Good times. Good times.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just the other day Avery burst out with hand over heart reciting the pledge while we were sitting at the pediatricians office. She had apparently learned it at school this past month, but didn't know she had. I couldn't have been prouder!

Anonymous said...

I went to pick up the kids the other day at school and noticed that my girl had been the flag holder for the day. I asked her if she had said the pledge and she went on to recite it to me. I was so proud of her! They say it every day at daycare and it brings a smile to my face every time she says it. Last night she had to say the pledge after we said her bed time prayers, it was great.